Line of Calm
When to Use the Line of Calm
Because it's so simple and can be done in a second, the Line of Calm can be a go-to technique for all things. It's a helpful first technique to use when:
- That negative voice starts.
- It's difficult to concentrate or make a decision.
How to Do the Line of Calm
1. Your eyes can be open or closed. In front of you, imagine a straight horizontal line.Make the line any colour you find calming.
2. Extend your Line of Calm all the way to the left to infinity as you say silently:
“I am calm from the beginning.”
3. Extend your Line of Calm all the way to the right to infinity, as you say silently:“I am calm to the end.” 4. Focus on the entire line. Say silently: “I am calm.” Let the calm spread to your entire being. Once you've practiced the Line of Calm, you'll be able to visualize all the steps in seconds.
If you don't feel calm by Step 4, keep focusing on your entire Line of Calm for a few seconds. Make sure your horizontal line is smooth, straight and quiet all the way to the left and all the way to the right.
If you prefer, you can replace the words “from the beginning” and “to the end” with “infinity” or “all time.” Use whatever works for you.